Basil plant in Hindi is also called Tulsi or तुलसी. As per our traditional hindu culture, it is also called as holy basil plant. There are various types of basil plants that grow in nature. However, Here is a guide on at least 12 types of basil plants in detail:
Everybody should grow at least basil (तुलसी) in their terrace garden or balcony garden. Many people who grow herbs have basil plants , but people who grow flowers or vegetables generally avoid growing basil. The main reason is that it is very delicate and extreme degree of care for basil plants is required. Generally, gardeners complain that their basil plants (तुलसी) get dried up very easily.
Let us examine tips and tricks of care for basil plant indoors:
- Do not grow basil plants in plastic or fibre pot or planter. The earthen pot or planter is the best.
- Do not put too much water in the basil plant. It means to pour water only to keep the earth moist and make sure that earth always remains moist.
- In the winter season also, the above rule should be followed. Since too much cold also can make basil plants dry, it should be kept in sunlight at least two hours in the winter morning.
- But in the summer season , too much heat with ultraviolet rays of sunlight should not be given to basil plants.
- In the rainy season , there are chances that the water will be logged in the basil plant. Make an arrangement to drain water automatically so that it does not accumulate around the roots of the basil plant.
- Do not cut flowers and leaves of the basil plant with a nail or iron cutter. Since it is a delicate plant, there are chances that it might get infected.
- Dried leaves should be removed from time to time to keep the basil plant light and it should not weigh down in any direction because of the weight of dried leaves.
- Neem oils should be sprinkled on basil plant time to time to prevent black spots and infection. Neem oil for plants are available at many nurseries or at ayurvedic medicine shops.
- Keep plucking flowers of the basil plant from time to time to keep it light. The basil plant can not grow, if it becomes heavy.
- Basil plant leaves should not be covered with mud or dust as there are chances that it will get infected with black spots.
Since basil is a herb, it is of very delicate nature. It requires a lot of special care and love to grow it in the earthen pots. Learning to care for basil plants is an art for gardeners and not everybody is skilled for it.